LILLIAN R. PHAUP
My husband, Bob, and I came to Moron AB from Hqs 8th AF, Westover AFB, MA, in December 1962.
I was the secretary in the office until December 1965. We were transferred to Bergstrom AFB,TX, where I became the secretary to the Director of Military Personnel.
In 1968 we were accepted for an Attaché Assignment to the American Embassy in Sofia, Bulgaria, and was the Defense Attaché's Secretary. We returned to Bergstrom in August of 1970 and I worked as a secretary and then Tax Examiner at the Internal Revenue Service Center in Austin until 1977.
Then we moved to Chandler, TX, where I worked for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration until the office closed in 1982. The year 1987 brought us to New Hampshire where I still reside. My husband passed away in 1992.
I worked for the United Way of Sullivan County for 13 years and then took a couple of part-time positions finally retiring in 2003. My home and volunteer work at my church and organizations keep my busy and active in the community.
LARRY LYNN SLONE
I was born 10-15-39 graduated from Camargo High School, Mt. Sterling KY, 1958. Joined Airforce, Feb.19, 1959. Did basic in Lackland AFB, Texas. Served in Homestead Fl. 59-63. Served in Moron October 63 to October of 66. From Spain I was stationed at Offut Airforce Base, SAC, HQS was discharged in June of 67.
I worked as civil service security, at Lexington Bluegrass Army Depot, Lexington, Kentucky from August of 1968 until retirement in August of 1990. From April of 73 until the present I have owned and operated a beef cattle and tobacco farm two miles from Paris, Kentucky. (Do not raise tobacco as of last two years)
I have been married to my wife Janice-Gail since November of 1984. We were late bloomers, me at 45 and Janice at 37. Met July 5th of 84 and married Nov. 9th. Janice is a former hair-dresser & dental assistant. We were not blessed with children, but have enjoyed nieces and nephews and other children through the years. We enjoy together the Kentucky Master Farm Homemakers Guild, became members in 1988. We are active in our little country church; Shawhan Baptist. I am also an active member of the Gideon’s, and I have always enjoyed bluegrass music. We have truly been blessed these 22 years.
3973rd Combat Defense Sq, Moron AB, Spain, April 1960 – April 1963
United States Military Service Nov 1959 – May 1980: In the Air Force and Army; Class 23129, Air Police School graduated 1 March 1960, SSgt James Rakestraw, Flight TI; further military service included assignments to New Jersey, New Mexico, Virginia, Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Illesheim, Germany, Viet Nam with the First Air Cavalry Division, Army Aviation & AIRMOBILE located at An Khe, RVN. Additionally, deployed to Bongson, Dak To and the An Lao Valley regions of the Central Highlands; follow-on assignments were to Texas, South Carolina, Utah and Korea. Retired from active duty 1 May 1980.
Civilian Occupations 1980 to Present: Deputy Sheriff, Texas 1 year; Texas Department of Corrections (TDC) 1981 – 1986 as Corrections Officer, buildings and cellblocks, 1 year; thence promoted into the newly formed TDCs Office of Internal Audits for the purpose of investigating theft on prison units statewide. Primary focus was on new construction units and sites. NOTE: Being a TDC corrections officer in any position in Texas is multi faceted. i.e. no matter what ones grade or station is, he/she is subject to be called out to suppress prison insurrections, perform escape chases, testify in court as required and anything else dictated by management at anytime 24/7. Entered US Civil Service in July 1986; assigned in Texas, Azores, Mississippi, Georgia, Cape Canaveral, and Einsiedlerhof, Germany. Currently posted at Grafenwoehr, Germany under the Directorate of Security and Intelligence (MI). Nick Snow plans to finally retire effective 1 December 2007 and settle in the Warner Robins area of Georgia.
Education: Associate in Arts and Baccalaureate Degrees earned through night school attendance over a period of years. Major was in Business Management with several credits in Prison Administration, Security and Law Enforcement/Investigations.
Civic Associations & Hobbies: Airplane Pilot Civil Air Patrol (CAP), qualified in CAP flight missions, search and rescue, counter narcotics and unit flight operations management; membership in the AF&AM Masonic lodge, 32 Degree Scottish Rite and Al Sihah Shrine Temple, Macon Georgia. Further memberships are in the Aircraft owners and Pilots Assn (AOPA) and as of mid April 2007 the Air Force Security Police Association (AFSPA). Hobbies include collecting police badges and patches, surfing the internet on World War II subjects; while on tour in Deutschland, visited many famous battle sites to include Bastogne, Verdun, and several concentration camp facilities in Germany, France & the Czech Republic.
ROBERT LEE STERKENBURG Airman 1st Class
Moron From 1960-1964, serving as Air Base Police and Pass and Registration.
I have many fond memories of John Baker, Larry Gomez, Larry Vickery, and Maxwell. I also did Honor Guard.
After leaving Moron I returned to Newaygo, MI. I worked for Steelcase INC. as a truck driver for 22 years.
I retired in Febuary of 2000. I married my wife Marcia of 8 years in Hawaii in 2000. Both Marcia and I are currently working for the Grant Public School System.
WILLIAM (BILL) WAYNE VICKERY JR.
Was born in Saint Louis, Missouri.
- Bill enlisted in the United States Air Force on July 21, 1959 serving over 25 years as a Air/Security Policeman. Took basic training at Lackland AFB, Texas (July-October 1959); and assigned: Little Rock AFB, Arkansas (November 1959-May 1961); Moron Air Base, Spain (June 1961-May 1965); Whiteman AFB, Missouri (June 1965-August 1969); U-Tapao Airfield, Thailand (August 1969-August 1970); Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota (September 1970-December 1972); Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany (January 1973-August 1976); RAF Lakenheath, England (August 1976-August 1979); Offutt AFB, Nebraska (September 1979-June 1982); Incirlik CDI, Turkey (June 1982-June 1983); and Offutt AFB, Nebraska (June 1983-August 1984). Retired from HQ Strategic Air Command Office of the Security Police as Chief Enlisted Manager on August 1, 1984 as a Chief Master Sergeant (E-9).
- Employed by Equipment Maintenance Systems, Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio from July 1984-February 1985.
- Employed by United States Air Force as a civilian employee at: AF Wright Laboratories, GS-11, Security Specialist Wright-Patterson AFB, OH from July 1985-July 1986; HQs, Air Force Systems Command Office of Security Police, GS-12, Physical Security Specialist and GM-13, Industrial Security Specialist from July 1986-January 1990; Munitions Systems Division, later Air Force Development Test Center and later Air Armament Center, Eglin AFB, FL, GM-13, Deputy Chief of Acquisition Security, Chief of Acquisition Security, and from August 1991, GM-14, Director of Acquisition Security from January 1990-October 2003. Retired from Air Armament Center, Eglin AFB, October 13, 2003.
Military - AF Meritorious Service Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
AF Commendation Medal with 4 oak leaf clusters
Civilian - AF Exemplary Civilian Service Award
AF Outstanding Civilian Career Service Award
U. of Nebraska at Omaha, Bachelors Degree in Political Science/History (July 1971)
Ball State University, Muncie, IN (1974-1975, 12 graduate semester hours)
U. of Southern California, School of Public Admin, 24thPolice Admin Institute, (April 2-May 12, 1978, 8 graduate semester hours)
Family and More:
Bill is married to the former Margaret (Margo) Barbara Elizabeth Scott of Edinburgh, Scotland. They met in Spain in 1963 and were married in 1966. They have two sons, Ian Wayne Vickery, and Scott Douglas Vickery. Both sons are married and Bill and Margo have three grandchildren, two girls and one boy.
Bill and Margo are retired and reside in Crestview, Florida. They are active in their church and in a car club. Bill has a classic 1950 Oldsmobile 88 and is active on e-bay.
NOLAN WATSON JR.
In Moron from 1963 to February of 1966.
After leaving Spain I began working at the Space Center and worked there for seven years.
Then moved back home to Boone, North Carolina, where I went in business for myself, as a nursery and landscape contractor, as well as developer of subdivisions and mini warehouses.
Married to Lola for 25 years, two children Stephanie Stephens 38, and Stephen Watson 31. Have been married to Nona for 5 years, she’s a retired school teacher of middle school math & science. Have 3 step children, Alisha Moore, Julie Woods, & Chris Arp, and together we have 7 grandchildren.
We reside on a farm in Buchhead , GA, both retired from the public world, however Nona and I together enjoy raising cattle. We are active in church and feel life is good, "The Good Lord has Blessed us Greatly"
DAVID STEWART WELLS LTC Ret.
Born 8 Nov, 1931, Hollywood Hospital, California
Mother: Wendy Stewart Wells. Father: Robert E. Wells, All-American, North Western University, 1910/1911, Brentwood Military Academy.
'43-'45 due to parent's divorce, left "Home."
1946. YMCA Hi Y Counselor
'47-'50, Football Team Captain, N. Hollywood High School, California
1950. Graduated N. Hollywood High School. Joined the National Guard at 15 (lied about being 17)
1950. Football scholarship, Occidental College, but joined USAF, July '50, to fight Commies. Graduated Basic at Lackland AFB, Texas as 1st Squad Leader and first to Private First Class. "Diverted" from Pilot Training to Air Force Institute of Technology (AFIT) Russian language course due to 3 years Latin and 1 year French.
’50-‘52, Section leader Sergeant, AFIT Detachment, Syracuse University, New York, graduating March, 1952.
‘52-‘53, Russian "Linguist," Brooks AFB, Texas listening to their pilots shoot-down ours. Promoted to Staff Sergeant and selected to Officer Candidate School, graduating Dec '53. Got 6 years pay credit for making 2nd Louey. Personnel chart determined "Air Police" same as "Intelligence Duty.” Off and running to be an Air/Security Police Officer with the United States Air Force.
Jan 54- Dec 57, RAF Upper Heyford, England as Town Patrol/Stockade/CSC OIC and UCMJ counsel.
--'54-'57, attended University of Maryland, Bachelor’s degree, Military Science, and received Regular Officer Commission.
-Jan '58, Homestead AFB, Florida as Base LE and Miami TP OIC and "Acting” Base Director of Security and Law Enforcement (BDCL) until Feb 1960. Promoted to Captain, and made "Executive Officer" of 19th AFRES, at Otis AFB, MA, no AP duty.
- July '62-Feb 63, Commander, Combat Defense Force (CDF,) Ben Guerir, Morocco, during "Cuban Crisis" and Labor Riots.
- Feb '63-June 65, Reassigned as BDCL, Moron de la Frontera Air Base, Spain directing base security and law enforcement services at Moron and San Pablo Air Bases helping keep America free.
- June '65- May 69, Ops OIC, then BDCL as Major, Minot AFB, North Dakota during 65% manning crisis (Vietnam)
- May '69-May 70, Commander CDF, Pleiku, Vietnam with Capt (later Colonel) Bob Hartman and "Safe Side" Security Police forces.
- May '70- Aug 72, Resources, Security Police Directorate, HQs USAF, Washington DC, as Lt Colonel winning 5% increase in manning.
- Aug '72, retired from US Air Force as Lt Colonel with Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, AF Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Vietnam Service Medal, and Good Conduct medals. Got 24 years pay credit for volunteering for a ’72 Budget Cut RIF at age 40 (Hated HQs AF staff duty!)
- 1973, graduated, with Straight A’s, Master's in Public Administration, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA.
- Became General Manager of Newport Beach, California Tennis Club, getting to know retired General "Al" Haig, Henry Kissinger and members of Nixon's staff and big "Media Moguls!"
- Elected President, Orange County Tennis Association and selected USTA & SCTA "Official." NOTE: All the above until 1985.
- 1985, became a Licensed Realtor and Loan Officer to now.
- Five sons and three daughters (more trouble than boys). The children (three boys and one girl) are successful in business, education, entertainment and ministry. Their Mothers remain friendly and very appreciative of our past "Adventures.”
- Three Grandsons and one and a half Granddaughters.